In 2016, Go Banking Rates listed Montgomery as the 25th best city in which to retire on $1,000 in the entire United States (Alabama News Network). That’s because Montgomery (and the River Region as a whole) has fairly low housing costs, and there’s just so much to do in the area.
Looking to retire in Montgomery or anywhere in this region? Here’s your guide to some of the best retiree-friendly communities in the River Region.
1. The Orchards at Lake Forest is a great retirement community that’s conveniently located in East Montgomery. Take advantage of condo-style living here and pay a flat monthly fee that covers everything from yard maintenance and garbage pickup to pest control and security services. There’s even a pool, a fishing pond, and a fitness center!
2. Grove Park is located near Blount Cultural Park in Montgomery, home to the Alabama Shakespeare Festival, miles of trails, and even a fenced-in dog park for large and small pups alike. The HOA in this retirement community covers yard maintenance, so you can spend less time working in the yard and more time enjoying amenities like an indoor, heated saltwater pool, a state-of-the-art fitness center, and a resident game room. There are also plenty of opportunities to make friends at community-sponsored events like weekly Bible studies and social hours.
3. The Berry Hill Place Apartment Homes are perfect for retirees who don’t want to worry about keeping up with a ton of yard and home maintenance. These apartments are conveniently located right next to Montgomery’s Shoppes at EastChase, so residents will never run out of things to do. These apartment homes feature screened-in porches and scenic lakeside views— perfect for relaxing and enjoying your retirement.
4. Legendary Living Montgomery will allow residents to live the resort life right here in the City of Montgomery. The senior living campus will offer a wide range of services, including both independent and assisted living. Amenities will include an outdoor pool and cabanas, a dog park, a variety of dining options, and so much more. If you’re looking to retire in luxury, you’ll definitely want to check out Legendary Living.
5. The Crossings at EastChase is an AgeWell community in East Montgomery that focuses on providing residents with a high quality of life. Independent living, assisting living, and memory care options are available. Resident amenities include pet-friendly living spaces, restaurant-style dining, a movie theatre, and much more. Retirees looking to really enjoy their retirement and have some fun are sure to love this community.