How do I get plugged into a new fitness routine or a gym?
Exercise is essential to your health and mental wellbeing. Regular exercise improves your mood, helps you manage your weight, strengthens your heart and lungs, and promotes better sleep. There are dozens of options when it comes to getting fit in the River Region- all within a few miles of your home! Here are a few options from the fitness professionals we recommend most.
• If you like having a routine and prefer going to a gym,
visit the YMCA. They have plenty of locations. As a busy mom, I love having options! Most locations offer childcare while you work out. It is also a great way to get the whole family moving- there are tons of activities going on all the time!
• If you prefer group fitness or personal training or an all in one facility that offers many different ways to get active, there are many choices for you. RezFit Fitness and Wellness Studio offers 5 week boot camp classes, group fitness, and personal training. Fast-paced, circuit style workouts at
Orangetheory Fitness are fun and dynamic, plus they help you burn tons of calories! Their heart rate monitors tell you exactly how many calories you’re burning- when you’re in the “Orange Zone”, you know you’re set to burn some fat! I have really enjoyed the benefits of this sort of training. There’s a brand new all-in-one facility on the Prattville/ Millbrook line: MAVERiQ FITNESS. Here you can join in on group boot camp classes, personal training, one on one training, CrossFit, and obstacle course training!
• Speaking of CrossFit… there are many CrossFit “boxes” in the area. I have been CrossFitting since March 2013, and I’ve seen people of all ages, shapes, and sizes participate in the sport. Beginner classes are always offered, and workouts can be scaled to your fitness level. We recommend Guns Out CrossFit on Atlanta Highway, or 2L2Q CrossFit on Jean Street. The owners of both facilities have many years of experience and are top-notch coaches! River Region CrossFit is located inside of the new MAVERiQ FITNESS facility. These days, many box owners are offering boot camp-style classes to fit the needs of their members. If you live in Pike Road, I suggest visiting Rebar Performance and checking out their new facility, where they offer CrossFit, boot camp, and hot yoga!
• If you don’t want to have to sling heavy weights to get results, there are plenty of fitness options to help you lift, tone, and tighten! Yoga and barre fitness classes are available at several studios in the River Region. Visit June Ryan at Total Freedom Wellness Spa in Prattville for a total-body barre workout. Schedule a massage while you’re there! Join in a hot yoga class at Rebar Performance in Pike Road- you will have a wonderful experience with their instructors. Another place to check out is Bombshell Buddha in Old Cloverdale. This is an all-women’s facility, and you’re guaranteed to leave feeling refreshed and renewed! At Club Pilates in East Montgomery, it’s all about strengthening your core. Yoga and pilates are both great forms of strength training- check them out and try a class for free!
• If your favorite form of exercise is walking or running, visit www.riverregionrunners.org to find running partners and local competitions. Also, check out Fleet Feet Sports for a list of local clubs and events (and great running shoes, of course!) Speaking of shoes- it’s important to have a shoe that fits you properly. Talk to Avery at Fleet Feet to find the right shoes for your lifestyle.
As you can see, there are plenty of opportunities to get fit in the River Region. I can personally recommend all of the locations mentioned- I frequent them often. Try one or try all, just find something you love and stick with it!
Kristina Boddie, a native Montgomerian, is a former collegiate softball player from Huntingdon College. Working for exploreMedia, she is the Business Development Manager for this magazine. In her spare time, she is an athlete and coach at Guns Out CrossFit. She is the proud mommy to Kenlee, wife of Keith Boddie of the MFD, and stepmommy to Emerson, Peyton, and Braydon. As a full time wife, mom, and employee she knows it is difficult to squeeze in a workout, so she takes advantage of every opportunity to get moving with her kids and husband!