New to the area and looking for a job? Here are a few helpful hints on how to conduct a successful job search in a new location:
- Research. Get to know the employers in your area! The local chamber of commerce is a great place to start. You can also do a quick Google search on top employers in your new location, or check out a few local business directories. Once you’ve identified a list of companies, narrow it down to a few top picks and dig a little deeper. Visit each company’s website, and maybe even check out their social media profiles.
- Network. Connect with the people in your new community! According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor, 70 percent of all jobs are found by simply networking. LinkedIn is a fantastic resource for making those connections. Other great networking venues include local job fairs, professional associations, and social organizations. Talk to the people around you and let them know about your career pursuits, whether you’re at the gym, at a coffee shop, or at church.
- Partner. Don’t job search alone! Work with a local staffing firm that has already established relationships with employers in the area and knows where the jobs are right now. Partnering with a staffing agency can give you an immediate advantage in your job search and introduce you to opportunities you may not be able to find on your own.
Great Local Resources:
• Montgomery City-County: www.jobapps.com/mgm
• Facebook Group: Montgomery Area Jobs