Lake Martin, one of the largest man-made lakes in the world, is a popular recreation area for swimming, boating, fishing, water skiing, camping, and golfing. Located less than an hour from the Montgomery area, this lake borders the cities of Dadeville, Eclectic, and Alexander City. Many locals make Lake Martin a weekend getaway, taking advantage of the condos and houses for rent, as well as watercraft rentals at several marinas.
Lake Martin hosts many events throughout the year, including various fishing tournaments, Art on the Lake, a fireworks show on the Fourth of July, and the Alexander City Jazz Festival, held at Lake Martin Amphitheater each summer.
The lake is home to several landmarks, such as the Kowaliga Bridge and Goat Island, but perhaps the most famous of all is Chimney Rock, a large rock formation that resembles (you guessed it!) a chimney. Chimney Rock is visited by thousands of boaters each year who park in front of the rock to watch daredevils climb up 60 feet to jump off into the water.
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK OUT THESE AREAS WHEN VISITING LAKE MARTIN:
• Chimney Rock Island – Chimney Rock has long been a famous landmark on Lake Martin. Its name comes from a tall rock resembling a chimney that protrudes from the top of the island.
• Acapulco Rock Island – Acapulco Rock Island is located in the Tallassee River Gorge, and is often mistaken for Chimney Rock.
• Goat Island – North of Martin Dam, Goat Island has become the residence for a family of goats. Bring food- they’re friendly!
• The Landing at Parker Creek – With a beach and play area for kids to enjoy, the adults can have a minute to relax and enjoy themselves, too. This is the perfect place for the family to hang out and grab a bite to eat!
• Chuckwalla’s Pizzeria – Pick up a pizza for lunch during an afternoon boat ride, or head over for dinner and enjoy some live music. Try a specialty pizza- we recommend the “Chimney Rock” or the “Goat Island.”
• Peanut Point – Located at the north side of the lake, Peanut Point is a great spot to take a ride over to. Pick up some of the area’s best-boiled peanuts!
• Catherine’s Market – Looking to pick up a few forgotten groceries or a delicious meal? Catherine’s is your spot! Located at the gorgeous Russell Crossroads, you’ll want to make sure to check out the views. Looking for something a little more upscale? Be sure to check out Springhouse right around the corner.